Overnight hikes must be thoroughly planned. Be sure to pack enough rations and all the necessary equipment. Check the weather forecasts before embarking on an overnight hike in the Cederberg mountains.
The available huts on trails serve as shelters only and do not have beds. Hikers can sleep under the stars or in caves or carry a tent.
Hiking maps can be bought at the CapeNature office at Algeria or get Slingsby’s Cederberg 7.1 map at major Camping and Outdoor outlets in Cape Town.
All overnight hiking permits must be obtained from CapeNature (bookings office in Cape Town or the Algeria office).
- Hiking Maps are available from Slingsby Maps
These are some overnight trail sections with the distance of that section
- Pahuis Pass - Heuningvlei = 13km
- Kleinkliphuis - Krakadouw Pass = 11km
- Dwarsrivier (Clanwilliam) - Heuningvlei = 12km
- Heuningvlei - Krakadouw Peak = 4km
- Heuningvlei - Boontjieskloof hut = 12km
- Boontjieskloof hut - Crystal Pool = 14km
- Crystal Pool - Sleeppad = 8km
- Crystal Pool - Algeria = 15km
- Rooiberg - Kruisrivier - Algeria = 19km
- Rooiberg - Kruisrivier - Syferfontein - Bakleikraal - Kromrivier = 29km